"The honour of sharing the Southern Alps with its vast valleys, rivers and ever changing moods? Well, you can hardly call it a job", Mark's response when asked to described his work. Mark was born and raised on a sheep, deer and crop farm in the Canterbury region outside Christchurch. He began experiencing the Southern Alps and Canterbury high country as a child on family 'Sunday drives'. These turned into more "manly" adventures as a teenager when he and his father went on hiking and four-wheel-drive trips, sometimes staying overnight in old Musterer's huts in the middle of nowhere. "But the stars kept you company at night".
One Day Option:
- Pick up from your central Christchurch accommodation.
- Private four-wheel drive safari deep into the Canterbury high country
- A photographers dream
- Off the beaten track beauty where humans rarely travel
- Learn the history and colourful stories of those who pioneered and have lived in the region
- Opportunity for bird viewing
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea, picnic-style by a lake, at a scenic spot or musterer'ss hut
- Two significant Lord of the Rings sites; Edoras and Helm's Deep
- Endlessly changing views of the Southern Alps, hanging glaciers, valleys and braided rivers
- Return to your central Christchurch accommodation at approximately 5:30pm
Two Day Option:
- Same as above with the added bonus of staying amongst the Southern Alps overnight at a high country sheep ranch.
- Additional time for more four-wheel-drive exploration and hikes
- Includes dinner and breakfast
- Return to your central Christchurch accommodation late afternoon on day two.
Pricing and Inclusions
Pricing for one day option
$998.00 NZD based on two passengers
Includes guiding, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.
Pricing for two day option
$2,248.00 NZD based on two passengers
Includes guiding, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea, dinner, breakfast and one night stay at high country sheep ranch.
ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS (not included in tour price)
Huntley House – Luxury Option
Huntley House, a magnificent historic homestead that has emerged from almost two years of restoration as a stunning boutique hotel. Built in 1876, it is nestled in serene, park-like grounds, centrally located and consists of 17 rooms, including one and two bedroom suites. An elegantly grand yet casual atmosphere prevails. Breakfast is included in tariff.
Orari B&B – Standard Option
Orari was built in 1893 for Annie Macdonald, widow of WK Macdonald of Orari Station - one of Canterbury's largest early landholdings. Orari has recently been restored and refurbished to offer heritage bed and breakfast accommodation in the heart of Christchurch. Orari is situated directly opposite Christchurch's new art gallery, within easy walking distance of cafes, the Arts Centre, the botanic gardens, museum, Hagley Park and golf course.
When you book our Locals and Landscapes Guide Mark, a Donation of
$10.00 Per Person will be donated to The Crested Grebe Conservation
Project. Click the following link to see how your donation is helping
New Zealand Encounters Conservation effort.
Click here to find out how your Donation will help